I rarely get to watch Food Network cooking shows anymore, especially since the only thing they’ll play on air at night is Cupcake Wars and Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Bahhh. I was able to catch a glimpse of Giada making a citrus rice salad one day and it looked so fresh and delicious. Bookmarked it and decided to make it with Teresa a few months ago.
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (we used slivers)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups basmati rice [Teresa made this when she got back to Evanston and used barley to make it healthier]
- 1 medium orange, zested
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup EVOO [I might cut this to 1/4 to 1/3 cup the next time I make this]
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
Rice salad: Bake the almonds on a baking sheet for 5-6 minutes at 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock, salt, and oil to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover, and reduce the heat until all the liquid has been absorbed (about 40 minutes). Let the rice cool for 5 minutes. Afterwards, fluff the rice and place in a large orange bowl. Add the orange zest, lemon zest, green onions, and almonds. Toss well.
Vinaigrette: Whisk together all the ingredients.
Pour the vinaigrette over the rice mixture and stir well.
The outcome was really good! Tasted like a citrus-y risotto.